Shortly after announcing plans to visit the Puerto Rico this week, President Donald Trump said Tuesday he is "very proud" of the response to the devastation left by Hurricane Maria on the island, claiming that relief efforts have been described as "amazing".
Trump said this is the earliest he is able to travel there because of the storm's damage and Puerto Rico's geographic isolation.
He also floated the possibility that he would visit the US Virgin Islands during the trip.
"I grew up in NY so I know many Puerto Ricans", Trump said.
Trump predicted that his administration will ultimately receive high marks on how they've handled recovery efforts, saying that they are sending relief resources on an nearly hourly basis.
"Given Puerto Rico's fragile economic recovery prior to the storms, we ask the Trump Administration and U.S. Congress to take swift action to help Puerto Rico rebuild".
Porsche 911 GT2 RS: 6:47.3
At the heart of this high-performance sports auto is a 515-kW (700-hp) six-cylinder biturbo flat engine. The vehicle's average speed was 184.11 km/h.
As such, the island is definitely in the Caribbean Sea - which is not an ocean - and is a two-and-a-half-hour flight from Miami. And it's a big ocean; it's a very big ocean.
"What's really bothering us is we know planes are coming in and out and we don't know how to get on them", she says. Officials said electrical power may not be fully restored for more than a month. The airport in San Juan has reopened for limited service, but other smaller airports and numerous island's shipping ports have been incapacitated, putting severe limits on the arrival of food, drinking water and emergency supplies.
The Trump administration is facing criticism over its response to the situation on the U.S. island territory, which the storm has left without power.
Trump in a press conference Tuesday argued that he was not "preoccupied" with the National Football League controversy, even while he still insisted it was "a very important situation".
The president's announcement came after the mayor of San Juan, Puerto Rico, asked the U.S. to put "people above debt". "Puerto Rico doesn't have that".
- The nurse was arrested protecting this unconscious reserve officer. Monday, he died
- SK head visits Japan amid Toshiba deal
- Mbalula: Don't buy goods stolen from Dutch tourists
- Mayweather has a huge painting of McGregor in his new mansion
- Army Carries Out Strikes At Indo-Myanmar Border
- Prince William says Prince George is "fed up" of going to school
- Dolphins reportedly lift Lawrence Timmons' suspension after 1 week
- UN Slaps Down US, Israel Plea; Admits 'Palestine' to Interpol
- Rex Tillerson heads to Beijing ahead of Donald Trump's China visit
- Love Island's Olivia Attwood sparks split rumours