Abe later met separately with Trump.
"North Korea's reckless pursuit of nuclear weapons and ballistic missiles threatens the entire world with unthinkable loss of human life..." The White House, meanwhile, took the another step in its so-called "peaceful pressure" campaign to rein in Pyongyang's nuclear program, expanding sanctions on North Korea and those who do business with the country. The president threatened to "destroy" the communist nation if it threatened the United States.
Kim Jong Un's statement took a jab at Trump in part by echoing critics who have rebuked Trump's own off-the-cuff remarks in the early months of his presidency. President Trump said "tolerance for this disgraceful practice must end now".
Mr. Trump branded Mr. Kim "Rocket Man" and threatened to "totally destroy North Korea" in his United Nations speech.
"We will be putting more sanctions on North Korea", Trump said on Thursday in response to a question at a meeting with Afghan President Ashraf Ghani in NY on the sidelines of the annual gathering of world leaders at the United Nations. The measure seeks to cut off North Korea's access to funding and deter its nuclear and missile programs.
'Newton' is India's official entry to Oscars 2018
But it is the sparring between Newton and Aatma Singh and the ideologies they represent that are the real highlight of the film. After being received well at worldwide film festivals, the film has also been named India's official entry to the Oscars.
Chinese banks were told this week to refuse new clients from North Korea and begin winding down business with existing customers. It wasn't clear what Trump was referring to. South Korean media called it the first such direct address to the world by Kim.
But the dispatch quoting leader Kim Jong Un calling President Donald Trump "the mentally deranged USA dotard" no doubt sent a few English-speakers to their dictionaries.
Trump has repeatedly pressed China, North Korea's only major ally, to do more to force Pyongyang to abandon its nuclear ambitions.
Mr. Trump had earlier threatened Pyongyang with "fire and fury". He also held talks with the then president-elect in NY in November previous year.
Foreign Minister Ri Yong Ho said it "could be the most powerful detonation of an H-bomb in the Pacific", according to South Korea's Yonhap news agency.
The three leaders will also meet over lunch.
- Esure Group PLC (ESUR) Receives GBX 268.20 Consensus PT from Analysts
- Jimmy Kimmel Urges Defeat of GOP Health Bill for 3rd Straight Night
- Mourinho singles out duo after hailing Man Utd's selection headache
- Elisabeth Moss's One-Woman Journey to Destroy the Patriarchy Continues
- Microsoft and Facebook finish laying massive transatlantic internet cable
- San Francisco 49ers game tickets on sale for under $20
- One herpes accuser steps forward and identifies herself, demands $20 million
- Khoza on why she left the ANC
- Kevin Durant Apologizes for Twitter Faux Pas-But He'd Do It Again
- German election: 2 votes, many coalitions and lengthy talks