Sarah Jane Lockner, 25, was working as a cashier at a McDonald's restaurant in Redwood City the night of September 4 when she complained of stomach pain, according to the Los Angeles Times. Lockner was reportedly going to the bathroom frequently due to "stomach pain" before a co-worker found blood all over the restroom stall.
The coworker then made a decision to peer over the wall of the stall, as CBS 5 reports, and says she witnessed Lockner flushing the toilet and trying to push the infant face-down, with a hand on the baby's back. They allege that Lockner had her hand on the infant's back and the other women heard the toilet flush.
Mari Martinez, an employee of Lockner's, told the Independent: "She was new here and nobody is really talking about it". The baby was then rushed to Lucile Packard Children's Hospital in Palo Alto.
Lockner claimed she didn't know she was pregnant, prosecutors said.
8 died in USA nursing home in aftermath of Irma
Workers reportedly tried to keep residents cool with cold drinks, fans, ice and cold towels as temperatures reached into the 80s. It was reported that a quarter of homes in the Florida Keys - a series of low-lying islands - were destroyed in the hurricane .
Sarah Lockner now faces charges of attempted murder and other offences that relate to child abuse.
"We were told chances of survival were not strong", said Wagstaffe.
According to The Daily Journal, when the newborn arrived at the hospital doctors anxious that he would die and had to put him in a medically induced coma.
Doctors initially didn't think the baby would survive, but the child was taken off life support and has been improving. The baby boy is now recovering, although it is not clear whether or not he sustained brain damage. She attributed it to a heavy menstrual cycle, prosecutors said. "I don't think she did that".
Her defense attorney Jonathan McDougall with San Mateo County's Private Defender Program could not immediately be reached for comment.
- GOP Scores Budget Victory, Governor Vows Veto
- D'Tigers overcome Senegal, set up AfroBasket Final withTunisia
- Catalan mayors back holding independence vote
- Nas and Nicki Show PDA as Nas Celebrates 44th Birthday
- Congolese Security Forces Kill at Least 18 Burundian Refugees
- It was unusual : Ford on Fisher revealing their affair
- Faulty AC may have factored into deaths at Florida nursing home
- Moscow favours political,diplomatic solution of North Korea crisis
- Tropical Storm Maria Is Latest Threat to Caribbean Islands
- Twenty-First Century Fox Inc