Education Secretary Betsy DeVos will conclude her national "Rethink School" tour in IN this week.
She stated that "no school or university should deprive any student of his or her ability to pursue their education because the school fears shaming by-or loss of funding".
Although Kansas City Academy is a private school, students asked DeVos what she thought about public schools.
They also presented DeVos with a book with messages and artwork.
DeVos, a philanthropist and former businesswoman, has been criticized by some for her her advocacy of school reform and for not previously working as a teacher or school administration.
"Our commitment to these protections for all of our students, faculty and staff remains as strong today as ever", Bentley President Gloria Larson said.
Apple reveals the truth behind Face ID gaffe at iPhone X launch
Federighi says the "bio-lockout" he experienced on stage hasn't been a real problem in the months that he's used the iPhone X. Once the set-up is complete, Face ID matches its existing facial map to identify the user with every log-in attempt.
Many people in the group had the message of "Save our schools". A second banner notes her and other alumni that have earned degrees and professional certificates.
DeVos arrived at the school's Cadet Chapel at about 11 a.m., greeted by Silveria and chaplain Col. Paul Sutter. She briefly thanked her parents and the school for their support while she was earning her degree.
DeVos makes no apologies for visiting a Catholic elementary school along with visits to public schools.
"My favorite part about teaching in a public school is the ability to serve all students".
"So much of our curriculum has been focused on the average student, and yet we know that no student is average", DeVos said. "We want to encourage local education leaders to continue to be creative, to empower parents with options and to expand student-centered education opportunities". Her office says the tour, which began Tuesday, highlights "the unique ways in which educators across the country are meeting the needs of individual students".
"I think that what has happened historically is that we've set up this competition when we talk about school choice", said Gary Mayor Karen Freeman-Wilson after DeVos' visit.
- Hurricane Irma: Boris Johnson to fly to Caribbean to survey aid effort
- Commuter CHAOS after 'explosion' at Tube station and major fire
- No way Jose! Slim odds of the next storm hitting Florida
- Gainesville Police Department received complaint against "hot cops"
- Research Ratings: AMC Entertainment Holdings, Inc. (AMC), DryShips Inc. (DRYS)
- What's changed with North Korea in 5 weeks since 'fire and fury'
- National Football League takes case against Elliott to 5th Circuit US Court of Appeals
- Billy Joe Saunders' son delivers low-blow to Willie Monroe Jr
- Boob-flaunting actress Ariel Winter claims mum 'sexualised' her too young
- Attorney general to step down in 2019