Friday, 15 December 2017
Latest news
Main » Fernando Alonso to decide future after McLaren's Renault switch

Fernando Alonso to decide future after McLaren's Renault switch

15 September 2017

One of the consequences of Toro Rosso and McLaren's engine swap deal is that Renault is working to end its arrangement to supply Red Bull with power units beyond the end of next year.

However, things have not gone to plan with McLaren-Honda failing to challenge and Alonso alone failing to complete six races this season with his best result to date being a sixth place finish.

"You have no chance of winning the world championship if you are not receiving the best engines from whoever is manufacturing your engines", Ron Dennis said in 2014 on the eve of his team's partnership with Honda.

"I've been here for quite a few years now and I think next year we need to make a bigger step than we did this year, to really convince me that I can win with them".

Some suggested Sainz could be in yellow overalls as soon as Malaysia, the race after this week's Singapore Grand Prix, if Renault dispense with the services of Britain's Jolyon Palmer, who has yet to score a point in 13 races.

"I think if we look to Monaco where our auto was not as good as it is now, we were already quite competitive - especially in the race", he explained.

It was confirmed that Palmer will be replaced by Carlos Sainz at Renault next season
It was confirmed that Palmer will be replaced by Carlos Sainz at Renault next season

He has said he was considering offers from other series, but that his priority remained Formula One.

"I went through that impatient phase for sure, and I am still bordering that - because I don't want to leave F1 without a championship", Ricciardo told motorsport.com. After the last three years with some struggles that we went through together, to have time for them to make decisions, to see the future for next year's vehicle.

"I am not making that decision".

By the end of 2018, Red Bull and Renault would have been partners for 12 seasons but, after a period of extreme success between 2010 and 2013, the relationship has soured somewhat since the introduction of the V6 hybrid power units. For Renault's participation in the increasingly complicated dealings it wanted Carlos Sainz, who the team has long wanted in one of its cars, to be on the table.

Alonso skipped this year's Monaco GP to compete at Indianapolis, where he was in victory contention until retiring late into the race, but has all-but ruled out missing F1's showpiece again next May if he is in competitive machinery. The Triple Crown is still ongoing at the maximum speed. Alonso last month denied telling McLaren he'd quit if they don't ditch Honda. "Whatever path there is, I will take the shortest path".

Hamilton said that heading into the race with a three-point lead over his main title rival, Ferrari's German driver Sebastian Vettel, was very important.

Should you be worried about the iPhone X's facial recognition?
While Apple maintains the facial data will only be stored locally, Franken is anxious that it could change its mind at some point. At the Keynote, Craig Federighi started the demo, he picked up the phone and looked at to unlock it using Face ID.

Fernando Alonso to decide future after McLaren's Renault switch