Highways England has issued an amber "be aware" alert across the country in response to the Met Office forecast.
A separate amber warning has been issued across the central belt of the United Kingdom during the early hours of tomorrow. A weather warning is in place from 4pm until 6am on Wednesday.
Wild, wet and windy weather is on the way courtesy of Storm Aileen - our first named storm of the season.
Strong winds are expected to hit North Devon this evening (Tuesday) as the first autumn storm reaches the UK.
"Therefore I would advise all motorists to allow extra time for their journey on Wednesday morning and take extra care while travelling".
People take cover from the rain in Cambridge as the weather goes from Sun to rain in moments.
The full list of storm names for 2017-18 was only published last week.
A yellow warning was previously in place from 8pm until the early hours of Wednesday but has been upgraded due to the severity of the storm.
Edith Windsor, LGBTQ Icon and American Hero, Dies at 88
The two women had lived together for some 40 years when, in 2007, they were legally married in Canada. Many of us feel the personal loss of a tremendous friend and mentor, whom we will never forget.
Driving will be unsafe at times, especially when combined with heavy downpours.
Britain will be battered by Storm Aileen just days after the Caribbean and USA suffered devastating damage causing by Hurricane Irma.
This is the third year that British and Irish storms have been given names, with Storm Aileen being the first named United Kingdom storm this season.
"This system originated well north in the Atlantic Ocean, independent of the current Caribbean hurricanes".
Met Éireann said winds are expected to increase to a mean speed of 50 to 65 km/h, with gusts of 90 to 110 km/h this afternoon in coastal counties of the southwest and south.
The Chief Forecaster's assessment reads: "Gales and local severe gales are expected to arrive in the west of the region later on Tuesday evening and move eastwards overnight".
Portreath in Cornwall was battered by strong wind and waves this morning.
- North Korea slams 'vicious' US-led United Nations sanctions
- Crystal Palace name Hodgson as manager
- James Woods on Amber Tamblyn's pick-up attempt story: It's 'a lie'
- Hurricane Jose's path: What you should know
- Knicks legend Oakley suing Dolan, MSG
- UN Security Council unanimously approves new sanctions on North Korea
- 'The Disaster Artist' Trailer: James Franco Unlocks 'The Room'
- Audi RS 4 Avant unveiled with 2.9 twin-turbo V6
- American families finally earn more than they did in 1999
- Najib, Trump meet to discuss terror fight