In a video message, the president urged Americans threatened by Irma to seek safety and follow the advice of local leaders and law enforcement. Irma could affect all four states. Join us in a conversation about world events, the newsgathering process or whatever aspect of the news universe you find interesting or important.
Afterwards, Hurricane Irma continued on a path that saw it inflict varying amounts of damage on Puerto Rico, the Domincan Republic, Haiti, and Turks and Caicos, among others. It remained an extremely unsafe Category 5, the highest designation by the National Hurricane Centre. "Here comes Irma. God bless everyone!"
Instead, it will be a storm surge, which he said could sea levels rising 8 feet in a worst-case scenario. "That restoration process will be measured in weeks, not days", said FPL spokesman Rob Gould at a news conference on Sunday.
In Miami, hundreds lined up for bottled water, and cars looped around city blocks to get petrol in panicked preparations for Irma's arrival.
After meeting with FEMA employees and thanking them for their help in the storm's efforts, Pence said the the administraiton continues to provide the "full weight of the government" to support the state of Florida and Governor Rick Scott.
China pushes for more United Nations action, talks
Administration officials said on Thursday there remains ample room for additional economic pressure on North Korea. Trump traded threats with Pyongyang last month after it conducted two long-range missile tests.
Irma, which is now is battering the Virgin Islands and Puerto Rico with 185-mph winds, landed in Barbuda earlier today. He said St. Martin is facing "enormous catastrophe". "I tell that to everybody at this table, do what's right, don't play politics".
Television footage from the island showed a damaged marina with boats tossed into piles, submerged streets and flooded homes.
At least 24 people were killed this week as the storm affected many islands in the area.
Irma hammered Cuba on Saturday with punishing winds and rain before setting her sights on Florida, where massive evacuations were being carried out. That included all Canadian tourists, who Cuban Tourism Minister Manuel Marrero estimated made up 60 percent of foreign visitors in the country's keys.
Hurricane Irma is expected to make landfall on the southern tip of Florida's extended peninsula by Sunday daybreak and head north as one of the most powerful Atlantic hurricanes ever recorded.
While Hurricane Irma prepares to barrel down on Florida, there are incredibly disturbing reports of what some pet owners have done with their dogs.
- Governor Amosun says Aisha Alhassan working against Buhari's govt.
- Martin Truex Jr. - Furniture Row Racing-78 - 2017 Player Profile
- USA completes anti-missile deployment in South Korea amid heightened war danger
- Team Line-Ups: Swansea City vs Newcastle United
- Thompson races away from Ko to win Indy event
- North Korea May Fire Another ICBM This Weekend, South Warns
- South Korea faces 'unprecedented security threat'
- South Park: The Fractured But Whole's Difficulty Slider Changes Character Skin Colour
- Grandmother Accused Of Locking Granddaughter In Dog Crate
- Putin Regrets Awarding Tillerson 'Order of Friendship' Because He Joined Trump Administration