"Those whom I've known helped me a lot when I needed to consult with them", he's quoted as saying by the Italian daily paper La Stampa.
Francis was then a Jesuit official in his native Argentina, which was ruled by a military dictatorship. Not to receive the sacraments, because she was Jewish, but for a spiritual dialogue.
"She was a good person", Francis said.
The interviews are recorded in a new book, Pope Francis: Politics and Society. He is believed to be the first Pope in history to have visited a psychoanalyst - or at least to have admitted to it. I met her in church, that God put her in my life, and I want to propose to her.
The revelation comes only a day after the leader of the Catholic Church held a rare and "extremely positive" meeting with representatives of Israeli, American and European rabbis at the Vatican, in which they thanked the Church for their mid-20th Century decision to try to stymie anti-Semitism within their ranks and reform religious doctrine relating to Jews. But it has recently shown more of an interest in the technique, and says that psychologists can be a useful way of looking at the psychological health of potential priests.
12 people injured by burning fuel at vehicle enthusiast festival
The souped up motor was doing donuts in front of the crowd at the Red Centre NATS event in Alice Springs , Australia . Last year, about 14,000 motoring enthusiasts attended the event billed as the "Ultimate Festival of Wheels ".
The Pope (80) also speaks of his state of mind now.
"I feel free", he said. "Nothing makes me afraid".
Pope Francis said yesterday that a full message about the importance of environmental care, from both him and "our dear brother Bartholomew, Ecumenical Patriarch of Constantinople", would be released Friday, according to Vatican Radio. It's a form of fundamentalism. "Whenever I run into a rigid person, especially if young, I tell myself that he's sick", he said.
But in his landmark environment encyclical Laudato si' Pope Francis rejects this argument and instead calls for a "deep communion" with nature where "mystical meaning" can be "found in a leaf, in a mountain trail, in a dewdrop, in a poor person's face".
- Minutes Of Final Fantasy XV: Pocket Edition Gameplay Footage Revealed
- Microsoft is Coaching Devs on Proper Console Keyboard and Mouse Development
- Microsoft confirms Xbox One keyboard and mouse support still coming
- More than 4 million Time Warner Cable records exposed in leak
- Michael Dell pledges $36M for Harvey relief in Houston
- Bama uses familiar recipe to beat Florida State
- Square: TX billionaire Michael Dell to donate $36M to Harvey relief fund
- Pope saw psychoanalyst to seek 'clarity' years ago
- Labor Day 2017: When is Labour Day Celebrated in Different Countries?
- Lots of folks seem to labor on Labor Day