"From today begins the definitive reincorporation of the members of the FARC", the Colombian Interior Minister Guillermo Rivera said at a press conference.
As part of the peace agreement signed by Santos and FARC leader Rodrigo Londono, known as Timochenko, in November 2016, the government has pledged to invest in the country's agricultural sector and carry out land reforms.
"Our mission has, up to today, gathered 8,112 arms in these containers and destroyed nearly 1.3 million cartridges", United Nations mission chief for Colombia Jean Arnault said at an event to mark the shipment.
"This puts the country on the path to a new future", Arnault commented.
Just one day after the United Nations Mission in Colombia announced the conclusion of the disarmament of the largest guerrilla group in the South American country, the Colombian government said the transitory zones that have housed guerrilla members during last year's peace agreement negotiations would become spaces for training.
Attorney General Jeff Sessions to address sanctuary cities in Miami
His speech is expected to be met with protest, who will likely gather en masse around the Port of Miami . Gimenez has also said that his police force will not do the job of immigration agents.
Roughly 7,000 FARC fighters have demobilized under the accord, which allows the group 10 unelected seats in Congress through 2026 and grants amnesty to the majority of ex-fighters.
He said armed forces would be redeployed in areas vacated by the Farc, and the government would provide security, infrastructure, and medical support there.
The ex-guerrillas, and agents of the forces of order will have to appear before a special court of peace, which provides for alternative sanctions to prison for those who admit to their crimes, compensate victims, and agree to have recourse to violence.
"But leaders of the FARC insist that they will indeed completely fulfill all their obligations".
Around 220,000 people lost their lives in the conflict.
The handing over of rebel arms is a fundamental component of the peace accord, which also aims to reduce Colombia's booming coca production by encouraging farmers to grow food crops instead.
- Sen. McConnell: White supremacist, KKK, and neo-nazi groups not wanted in Ky
- Man City have £18m Jonny Evans bid rejected by West Brom
- Jese Rodriguez close to Stoke switch
- SC asks NIA to probe Hadiya marriage case
- Kim Kardashian apologizes after defending Jeffree Star: 'I feel a bit naive'
- People are turning IKEA rugs into Game of Thrones cloaks
- United Kingdom unemployment rate hits historic low as wages grow more than expected
- Kim Jong Un appears to back down after Mattis, Trump warnings
- Blake Bortles on arm: 'It feels good, I'll be all right'
- Seahawks sign former 49ers cornerback Tramaine Brock