Friday afternoon the club announced left-hander James Paxton has been placed on the 10-day DL with a strained pectoral.
Seattle started Friday tied for the second wild card spot in the AL, but with six teams separated by less than two games.
The M's went quietly in the bottom of the inning against Yusmeiro Petit, who earned his second save of the season. Paxton is expected to be sidelined for at least three weeks. Hisashi Iwakuma has been out since early May with shoulder troubles, Felix Hernandez is in his second stint on the disabled list and Paxton could be joining him.
"Obviously it's disheartening news, no doubt", Seattle manager Scott Servais said.
The latest injury to Paxton only adds to a season of setbacks among Seattle's starting rotation. To put ourselves in the position we are now, a lot of it has to do with James Paxton.
Paxton said he woke up feeling pretty good on Friday and was a bit surprised by the diagnosis. "But we're going to see how it responds here and just try to get back as soon as possible and try to stay positive and do everything I can to get back on the mound as soon as I can".
Bucs waive K Aguayo after preseason misses
FSU coach Jimbo Fisher suggested a year ago changes to Aguayo's kicking routine may have contributed to his inconsistency. The Buccaneers brought in former New York Jets kicker Nick Folk to compete with Aguayo for the starting job.
Paxton was working his way into the conversation for Cy Young Award consideration. Before Thursday's start, he had won seven in a row.
The Angels are 14-4 in their last 18 during game 3 of a series, 6-2 in Ramirezs last 8 road starts and 4-0 in Ramirezs last 4 starts vs.
Before Saturday's game, the Mariners will honor former star Edgar Martinez, who now serves as hitting coach, by retiring his No. 11.
The Mariners recalled pitcher Andrew Moore to take his place on the roster.
Mike Trout, 26, a center fielder with the Los Angeles Angels and a 2009 Millville High School graduate, was the 2014 and 2016 American League Most Valuable Player.
Trout's bases-clearing hit off Seattle closer Edwin Diaz (2-5) came after the Mariners staged a three-run rally of their own in the eighth inning to tie the game at 3-all. Unfortunately we went through a similar thing in May.
- Man City's Pep Guardiola has high expectations of "intelligent" Bernardo Silva
- Destiny 2 Has More Than 80 Missions, PvE Activities
- Liverpool's owners rule out sale of Philippe Coutinho
- N. Korea rejects talks with South
- FTSE ends down as shares hit by US-North Korea tensions
- Trump Calls Guam Amid North Korea Tensions, Says: 'You Are Safe'
- Jeffrey Loria Agrees To Sell Marlins To Derek Jeter, Bruce Sherman Group
- Global stocks slide as US-North Korea nuclear tensions rise
- Nitish faction removes Sharad as party head in RS
- Sebastian Gorka Dismisses Rex Tillerson's Reassurances on North Korea