"The rain has hampered the rescue operations which is making it tough for the police and home guard", he added.
Following the incident, Prime Minister Narendra Modi stated: "Pained by the loss of lives due to landslide related accidents in HP's Mandi district".
The tragedy struck at 12.15 am today in Kotrupi village in Padhar sub-division of Mandi district.
Newspaper: Mehbooba opposes repeal of Kashmir's special status
Rasheed has accused "her of being apologetic, untruthful and unrealistic during her meeting with PM Narinder Modi". Kashmiri politicians have been supporting it only to project J&K as different from India, he added.
At least a dozen small vehicles are also trapped. Similar deforestation and environmental damage have caused floods and landslides in other parts of India. Some families said they lost their cattle in the landslide. One of the buses was going from Manali to Katra and another from Manali to Chamba.
As per reports, National Highway 21 from Mandi to Aut has also been closed for traffic due to landslide threats. He will visit the accident site and review the situation.
The landslide swept away the road and the buses for nearly 800 metres down into a gorge and there was no trace of one of the buses which was completely buried under the debris so far. It is not known how many passengers were in the bus which is under the debris.
Rescue teams reached the scene but struggled in the dark and steep terrain, with the army later joining the search. The local administration has warned of more landslides on the Chandigarh-Manali highway.
- Iran MPs boost missile funds in response to United States sanctions
- F365 Says: Flawed but not floored; Arsenal make it right
- Anna Paquin responds to BBC's viral clip
- Beijing's delaying strategy on the South China Sea
- Federer enters final, on course for third Rogers Cup glory
- Police release CCTV of 83-year-old dog walker stabbed to death
- Justin Upton destroys baseball with walk-off home run
- Gold buoyed by North Korea tensions, USA inflation data
- Roger Federer, Alexander Zverev make the semifinals in Montreal
- Danny Drinkwater to Chelsea: Leicester star odds-on to join Premier League champions