When asked about his conversation with Tannehill, Gase said: "It was probably tougher for me".
In five seasons with the Dolphins, Tannehill has started 77 games.
Tannehill left the Dolphins' practice on Thursday after his knee appeared to buckle in a non-contact situation. "The fact that it's him and he knows his body and how he feels-It's unfortunate for him because he worked so hard to be available for us".
Zach Ertz hates losing Jordan Matthews but knows it's a business
Head coach Doug Pederson probably wasn't happy to see Matthews go, either, saying he had a "good relationship" with the receiver. One of the biggest stories of the offseason for the Philadelphia Eagles was based around wide receiver Jordan Matthews .
The Texas A&M product went down with sprained ligaments in the same knee he injured last week resulting in the surgery he'll undergo to fix his ACL.
Tannehill was coming off a career-year in his first season under Gase, completing 67.1 percent of his passes for 2,995 yards.
Tannehill will still be around the team this season, Gase said.
Ryan Tannehill has decided surgery can no longer be avoided.
- Chelsea Show Spirit in Defeat to Burnley
- How to view the solar eclipse
- Wayne Rooney: Back where I belong at Everton and meaning business
- Floyd Mayweather is 'Scared' of me: UFC Champion Conor McGregor
- Leicester boss Shakespeare excited for Arsenal opener
- Trump White House to look into China's trade practices
- Former Clemson wideout Sammy Watkins traded to Rams
- Antonio Conte sends direct message to Chelsea board about signings
- Letting Obamacare implode might be Trump's least popular position yet
- Wrong man arrested in United Kingdom jogger-rage case