FSU coach Jimbo Fisher suggested a year ago changes to Aguayo's kicking routine may have contributed to his inconsistency.
The move to part ways with the 23-year-old comes less than 24 hours after a dismal performance in the Bucs' preseason opener against the Cincinnati Bengals. That was the worst total among the 30 kickers to attempt at least 20 field goals in 2016, and the third-worst among any kicker since 2000.
Aguyao said he just got unlucky on the missed extra point.
The 32-year-old Folk spent the last seven seasons with the New York Jets (2010-16), converted 27 of 31 field goals (87.1 percent) in 2016, tied for sixth-best in the National Football League, while making 24 of 26 extra-point attempts.
Bolt loses world race; still fan favorite
The United States, with Gatlin running the second leg, won the first heat in a world-leading time of 37.70 seconds. In a spirit of forgiveness an arbitration panel gave Gatlin the opportunity to compete again.
Aguayo missed his first kick vs the Philadelphia Eagles during a preseason game past year, and he was boo'd off the field by Bucs fans after missing more kicks during practice. He made 88.5 percent of his field goal tries, going 69-of-78.
Asked if he thought he may have cost himself a job with Friday's performance, Aguayo said, "You wanted to come out and be flawless".
"You know, I keep saying it, I can't say it anymore", Koetter said. I had a field goal in there but at the end of the day, it wasn't what I wanted. Not what I wanted. I've just got to put it in the past.
"You've got to enjoy it, you've got to embrace it", Aguayo told reporters on August 4 when asked about the competition. Obviously, not up to the standards that I want.
- A look inside the White House construction
- Floyd Mayweather is 'Scared' of me: UFC Champion Conor McGregor
- Chelsea Show Spirit in Defeat to Burnley
- A bot just defeated one of the world's best video gamers
- Missile incoming? Head underground, Guam tells residents
- USA duo stuns steeplechase world
- Dolphins' Tannehill out for season
- Leicester boss Shakespeare excited for Arsenal opener
- London 2017: Farah finishes with 5000m silver
- Real Madrid: Isco has signed new contract