The last eclipse in 1979 had the country buzzing and people made their own glasses to watch it.
Here's the deal: Glasses that are safe for directly viewing the sun must meet the standard, set by the International Organization for Standardization, and the glasses or viewer will then indicate that they are ISO 12312-2 compliant. The AAS recognizes that bogus pair of solar viewers have been "flooding the market".
The museum also plans to open its new "Buffalo in Space" science studio to coincide with the August 21 Great American Solar Eclipse.
The bottom line is that regular sunglasses - even the darkest ones - are not effective for the purposes of viewing the eclipse, Weng said.
The solar eclipse glasses allow people to safely observe the eclipse without risking damage to their eyes.
Retail chains listed include 7-Eleven, Best Buy, Kroger, Lowe's, and Walmart, among others. According to AAS Press Officer and task-force representative Rick Fienberg, there may be some legitimate suppliers not on their list yet only because they "have no knowledge of them or that we haven't convinced ourselves they're safe".
Garde Capital Inc. Has $322000 Stake in Nordstrom, Inc. (NYSE:JWN)
Second-quarter results compare to the Thomson Reuters consensus estimates for EPS of $0.64 and $3.75 billion in revenue. The Company also offers its customers a variety of payment products and services, including credit and debit cards.
Dr. Wayne Cannon says that when the sun's rays hit the front of your eye, they travel through your eye ball and hits the part of the eye that controls your central vision, burining your retina.
"Some of the sun's radiation cannot be seen at all so someone looking at the eclipse without aid could be injured before they realize it", Schmude said.
Northern San Luis Obispo County (Cambria, Paso Robles) will see the moon cover 67-percent of the sun.
One source told Business Insider that she had nearly purchased a five-pack of eclipse glasses on Amazon, before double checking the date - and realizing that they wouldn't arrive until September.
The only advice on what NOT to do is as follows: Don't search for eclipse glasses online and buy whatever comes up in the ads or the early search results - at least, not without doing some homework first.
- High-risk alcohol use has increased significantly since 2002, study finds
- Sebastian Gorka Just Increased The Chances of Nuclear War
- War of Words Heats Up between President Trump and North Korea
- Hot Stocks Now:AstraZeneca PLC (NYSE:AZN)
- Kim Kardashian isn't having being mommy-shamed about Saint's auto seat
- Cenovus Energy Inc (CVE) Rating Increased to Sell at BidaskClub
- Penn State athletic trainer ordered to appear at hazing death hearing
- Country music legend Glen Campbell laid to rest in Arkansas
- Council of the European Union expands sanctions against North Korea
- A nearby Sun-like star hosts four Earth-sized planets