Tuesday, 13 November 2018
Latest news
Main » Hostages Freed After Rare Joint IS-Taliban Attack In Afghanistan

Hostages Freed After Rare Joint IS-Taliban Attack In Afghanistan

10 August 2017

Sar-e-pul: The Taliban released 235 villagers held after the insurgents captured a village in the northern Afghan province of Sar-e Pul, but the government faced growing pressure over why it had taken so long for security forces to arrive in the area.

Zabihullah Amani, a spokesman for the provincial governor, said the fighters, who included foreign militants, attacked a security outpost in the Mirza Olang area of Sayaad district overnight, torching 30 houses.

Read the whole story from AFP via Business Insider. The victims were mostly Shia Muslims and minority Hazaras.

Iran's embassy in Kabul has dismissed as "bizarre" claims by a Saudi diplomat about the Islamic Republic's alleged links to Taliban militants and armed groups inside Afghanistan.

In recent months, the number or fightings have escalated across Afghanistan.

"They were killed in a brutal, inhumane way", he said. Afghan News Agency on Twitter, become a fan on Facebook. In the first half of the year 1,662 civilians were killed and 3,581 injured, according to United Nations figures.

NYT, WaPo 'reluctant' to cover shady tarmac meeting
Comey said that was one reason why he took it upon himself to buck Justice Department tradition and reveal his findings about Mrs. Clinton boarded her plane uninvited, reportedly, and Lynch says she regrets having allowed the meeting.

The battle began on Thursday when a checkpoint manned by the local police was attacked.

The Taliban confirmed capturing Mirza Olang but said it did so alone. An Afghan security source told AFP there had been around three incidents in the past where fighters from both groups had teamed up to deal a blow to Afghan forces in certain areas. It has also denied killing civilians.

Wahdat says Afghan forces retreated form the area after they couldn't gain ground or air support from the central government.

Sediq Sediqi, a spokesman for the Afghan government, told AFP it was hard to know how many civilians were killed or captured, but said "President Ashraf Ghani has instructed everyone to do everything to safeguard those people".

"Since the villages are cut off, we can't confirm any new killings by the terrorists", Amani said.

Hostages Freed After Rare Joint IS-Taliban Attack In Afghanistan