Nevertheless, Mourinho comes out the victor as he signs a player who was a brilliant servant the last time to two worked together, while defending champions Chelsea have lost real depth from their squad.
Mourinho has been desperately looking for a long-term replacement for the 36-year-old midfielder Michael Carrick.
Manchester United play Valerenga today in a pre-season friendly.
On Sunday, there were suggestions that Jose Mourinho is increasingly unhappy with Manchester United's preparations for the new season.
With all the above swirling around, it looks like Nemanja Matic's transfer to Manchester United is all but done.
Both players had been identified as possible alternatives to the Serbian. Hours after such claims surfaced, United have seemingly made a breakthrough.
Trump to sign bill for new sanctions on Russian Federation
The measure would apply terrorism sanctions to the country's Revolutionary Guards and enforce an arms embargo. The House had already passed the bill with a vote of 419-3.
Mourinho has recently said that he, "would like to have two more players" and that, "one player would be a midfield player that gives me more options, more balance to the team".
"Signed from Everton by David Moyes in a £27.5million deal, many Red Devils" fans struggled to warm to the combative player.
The man in question is Ivan Perisic, the £48 million-rated Inter Milan star whom the Italian club have so far insisted is not leaving.
And it was probably no coincidence that, within days of Mourinho's statement, a deal for Matic was clinched.
The 31-times Serbia worldwide was integral to Chelsea's title triumphs in 2017 and 2015, the latter of which was under Mourinho, who took him back to Stamford Bridge in January 2014 for a second spell after a fee of around £22million was agreed with Benfica.
Meanwhile, Jose Mourinho is keen to finalize his targeted signings before the season starts on 13th August.
- Fund set to help daughters of Utah woman murdered on cruise ship
- Obamacare: Senate must vote on health care again before other votes - Mulvaney
- David Price Headed Back to Disabled List
- Dominant England frustrated by Oval rain
- Marouane Fellaini on the brink of leaving Manchester United
- US Senate Clears Russian Sanctions Bill, Sends To White House
- Melky Cabrera Traded to Royals
- Tottenham Starlet Marcus Edwards Signs New Contract With the Club Until 2020
- Taiwan issues warning as Typhoon Nesat approaches
- Vladimir Putin orders expulsion of 755 United States diplomats