Cousins seems intent on betting on himself once again, while the Redskins seem to be falling into some sort of reverse Sunk Cost Fallacy, blowing several past chances to lock in Cousins long term and stubbornly continuing to refuse to make the situation right. For at least one more year.
However, there might not be a more significant practical moment for this franchise than Monday at 1 p.m. PT, which is the deadline for Cousins and Washington to agree to a long-term deal in this calendar year, or else he will operate on the one-year franchise-tag salary of $23.9 million for the soon-approaching 2017 season.
Washington could elect to keep Cousins off the free agent market by giving him the franchise tag for an unprecedented third season. If the two sides haven't reached a deal by then, Cousins will be locked into his one-year, $24 million franchise-tag contract.
They have until next Monday to do a long-term deal, though there's no indication that's even being worked on.
In 2016, the quarterback threw for 4,917 yards, 25 touchdowns and 12 interceptions, completing 67 percent of his passes.
Yankees Break Through In 16th Inning To Down Boston 4-1
In the ninth, Kimbrel fired in a 1-1 fastball and Holliday clocked it over the Green Monster in left-center. The Red Sox fell to 51-40 with the loss, while the Yankees improved to 46-42 with the win.
Where Cousins plays beyond this season, whether it is with the Redskins or another franchise, will be determined next March.
Shanahan played a major role in Cousins getting selected in the fourth round of the 2012 draft after the team traded up to take Robert Griffin III with the second-overall pick.
By the way, new 49ers coach Kyle Shanahan has a great relationship with Cousins from when they were together in Washington for two seasons and believes Cousins is a great fit for his offensive system.
Washington can place the franchise tag on Kirk Cousins for another season. The risk of doing so is that another National Football League team can communicate with Cousins and sign him.
Jay Gruden talks with quarterback Kirk Cousins. The 49ers could have a quarterback vacancy next season.
- PDP fixes October for National Convention as Sheriff surrenders
- John McCain's recovery from surgery just complicated the Senate's Obamacare repeal vote
- New Nokia Flagship Might Arrive Later This Month
- NJ Transit train disabled at Penn Station
- Violence Continue in Bengal Hills, HC Asks Centre to Rush More Forces
- British surgeons find 27 contact lenses lodged in woman's eye
- WWE Talking Smack Has Reportedly Been Canceled
- South Africa 56-1 against England in 2nd Test
- Arab gunmen kill 2 Israeli policemen at Jerusalem shrine
- Pence, Trudeau Discuss National Security Partnership, North Korea Issue