Canadian prime minister Justin Trudeau on Thursday announced that on his recommendation, Her Majesty the Queen, had approved the appointment of Julie Payette as the next Governor General of the country.
Payette, 53, will replace David Johnston, who will retire in September after serving in the position since 2010. After a series of conversations, he said it became clear that he should recommend her for the post.
Trudeau defended the selection process, saying Payette won the job on merit.
"Ms. Payette's life has been one dedicated to discovery, to dreaming big and to always staying focused on the things that matter most", Trudeau told reporters.
"These truly Canadian traits, along with her years of public service, make her unquestionably qualified for this high office". Payette is a Montrealer who as part of NASA and the Canadian Space Agency travelled to outer space in 1999 and 2009. From 2000 to 2007 she was the chief astronaut for the Canadian Space Agency.
Oil edges up in choppy trade on signs of higher demand
The IEA revised up its overall 2017 demand growth figure to 1.4 mb/d, an increase of 0.1 mb/d compared to last month. The market is only "a little bit more balanced", said Tom Pugh, a commodities economist at Capital Economics.
She can speak to you in pretty much any language OK, not any language, but she can speak French, English and hold down a conversation in Spanish, Italian, German and Russian, which she learned in preparation for her first space mission.
Mr Johnston is expected to have a private audience with The Queen when he travels to the United Kingdom next week for Canada 150 celebrations.
The installation ceremony for Payette will take place in the fall.
"Anything she sets her mind, she will achieve it", said Kumar of Payette. "I expected a lot of her in the early days, and I expect a lot from her now".
Payette will be the fourth woman to be the governor general. "You get to see a lot of fantastic details", she said.
- Singapore's Global Logistic picks Chinese consortium for S$16 bln sale
- UK's easyJet sets up new airline in Austria
- US Dollar Falls On Dovish Yellen Testimony
- John Malone, Warren Buffett, Sprint's Son are reportedly talking deals
- Lady Trying To Take A Selfie Ruins Art Display
- RJD chief Lalu loses temper when asked about Tejashwi's resignation
- Wimbledon: Bopanna-Dabrowski duo crashes out of mixed doubles
- N Srinivasan and Niranjan Shah could face Supreme Court wrath
- Sensex, Nifty50 snap 4-day record-breaking spree; Infosys, TCS fall
- England's late comeback frustrated on better day for South Africa