The Mississippi State Department of Health reports that the first human case of West Nile virus this year is in Forrest County.
Canyon County Mosquito Abatement District Director Ed Burnett said this is one of the earliest detections of West Nile virus since 2006, according to a news release Thursday.
Symptoms of human West Nile virus infections typically begin within 14 days following the insect bite and consist of low-grade fever, muscle and joint aches, fatigue, and headaches.
Many mosquito repellents are available to prevent bites, but they do not all work equally well.
Other recommendations include staying inside at peak mosquito hours, dawn and dusk, and trying to drain standing water from around homes.
While the Zika Virus continues to generate interest across the country and around the world, no Zika-carrying mosquitoes have been found in our area. The Centers for Disease Control recommend products with the active ingredients DEET, Picaridin, IR3535 or oil-of-lemon eucalyptus as being safe and effective against mosquitoes that can transmit disease when used according to the labels.
Asian Carp Caught 9 Miles from Lake Michigan
Something Upton has signed on with over two dozen other lawmakers to force the issue, if the President will not comply. Once again a dreaded Asian carp has been found relatively close to Chicago and Lake Michigan .
The samples included more than 500 mosquitoes from six traps in Mecca along Lincoln Street between 63rd Avenue and 5th Street. Avoid exposure during these times and in these areas.
Eliminate all sources of standing water on your property, including flowerpots, gutters, buckets, pool covers, birdbaths, old vehicle tires, rain gutters and pet bowls.
The money for the grant comes from the Ohio Environmental Protection Agency's Mosquito Control Grant. "We need residents to help".
The Modesto Bee reported that the dead bird with the virus was found in Ripon, according to the San Joaquin County Mosquito and Vector Control District. Learn how here https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/beaufort-county-mosquito-control/id1003275667?ls=1&mt=8 or here https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.bcgov.bcmc .
For more information about preventing mosquito bites and the spread of West Nile virus and other mosquito-borne illnesses, go to www.scdhec.gov/mosquitoes http://www.scdhec.gov/mosquitoes .
- Formula One: Vettel, Hamilton clash as Ricciardo wins in Baku
- Democratic Rep. Filemon Vela: Pelosi 'doesn't help our candidates'
- Scott Dixon gets another IndyCar win on road course in Wisconsin
- Rebels say Syrian army, Iranian-backed militias launch offensive in eastern desert
- US Shoots Down Pro-Syrian Drone
- China, US agree aim of 'complete, irreversible' Korean denuclearization
- NBA draft draws second-largest audience on ESPN
- Remnants Of Cindy: Heavy Rain, Storms Expected In Middle Tennessee
- Ronaldo ready to pay $16.39 million in Spanish tax fraud case
- Ill. Man ID'd as Suspect in GOP Baseball Shooting