Mosquitoes carrying the West Nile Virus have been discovered in St. Louis County, the county's department of public health said Tuesday.
The state Health Department says the case is in a Davison County resident who is in his or her 60s.
It's the first time a pool of mosquitoes have tested positive this season. Residents of Columbus should call 311.
"Most people who contract West Nile virus, about 70-80 percent, don't get sick but those who do can be severely ill", said Dr. Lon Kightlinger, state epidemiologist for the department. "Even though serious West Nile Virus cases in humans are rare, it is important to minimize our exposure".
Eid-al-Fitr will be celebrated across India on Monday
Bangladesh will take a call first followed by India and Pakistan based on Sun set timing in the respective regions. The Chief Minister in his greetings conveyed his wishes on the auspicious occasion of Eid al-Fitr to the people.
Following a Zika virus outbreak in Brazil in 2015, an unusual increase in cases of microcephaly (babies born with abnormally small skulls and neurological damage) was observed in areas where outbreaks were reported.
To reduce the likelihood of infection, avoid mosquitoes, particularly between dusk and dawn when they are most active.
As the snow pack melts, OR is likely to have a lot of water for mosquitoes to reproduce, said Emilio DeBess, the state's epidemiologist specializing in mosquito-borne illness. Symptoms include mild fever, skin rash, conjunctivitis, muscle and joint pain, malaise or headache. The best way to prevent a bite is to use an insect repellant, wear long sleeved shirts and get rid of standing water near residences. Limit exposure by wearing trousers and long sleeves in the evening. Regularly change water in bird baths, outside pet dishes, and drain water from flower pots and garden containers. Adult mosquito control may also be conducted to decrease the numbers of adult mosquitoes.
- Mueller And Comey Not As Close As Trump And Others Suggest
- Sean Spicer May Get To Choose His Own Replacement If He Quits
- Iran fires rockets in 'revenge' at Islamic State in Syria
- 16-month-old Brooklyn girl beaten on Father's Day dies
- Blood centers to celebrate World Blood Donor Day on Wednesday
- Erdogan rejects Arab demands; Turkish troops stay in Qatar
- GOP senators now oppose health bill _ enough to sink it
- Taliban storm Afghan police compound; 1 police dead
- Arab states don't seek 'regime change' in Qatar, says UAE official
- Standard Life Plc (SL) Rating Reiterated by Barclays PLC