The 16-month old girl who was beaten by her father on Father's Day died from her injuries Friday morning, police said.
Nylah Lewis died about 10:40 a.m. Friday, Maimonides Medical Center said in a statement.
"We ... extend our heartfelt condolences to her family, who wish to have their privacy respected at this sad and hard time", Maimonides Medical Center said about the toddler's death in a released statement.
Her father, Shaquan Taylor, 19, is accused of attacking the baby at a Coney Island apartment. She was in the apartment lobby unconscious. when Taylor's friend called and ambulance, which then rushed her to Coney Island Hospital and later transferred to Maimonides Medical Center in Brooklyn.
Taylor also has a criminal past: He has five previous arrests, including one in 2015 when he was charged with sexual misconduct because his girlfriend, Lewis, was only 14 at the time.
Taylor was facing charges of "assault and acting in a manner injurious to a child", but the charges will upgraded given the child's death.
Wall Street closes lower as oil drops
Among stocks, Lennar rose 1.8 percent to $53.66 after the No. 2 US homebuilder reported a higher-than-expected quarterly profit. The Shanghai Composite Index gained 0.4 percent to 3,170.19 and Tokyo's Nikkei 225 shed 0.1 percent to 20,118.25.
A judge had issued an order of protection against Taylor on behalf of Lewis, the Daily News reported earlier this week.
When authorities questioned Taylor, he claimed the baby was injured because she had fallen off the bed, but doctors confirmed that Nylaha's bruises did not come from a fall.
When police arrived, they found the baby lying face up in the father's living room, unconscious and unresponsive with shallow breathing.
'Feel mad disrespected, ' Taylor wrote in a Facebook post in February 2016 around the time his daughter Nylah Lewis was born. "I don't know if he was on something". "She was a handsome baby", Janice Munford said. "Told that lil b-h to get abortion (and) she tells me she is but still keep it".
"She didn't look herself, she's good here, but from their point of view at the hospital, she doesn't look like this baby right here", Munford said. "Exactly why I hate that lil b-h". Just f--d (that) hotty a-, that's it.
- Microsoft isn't making a profit with their new Xbox One X console
- ICC gives go-ahead to send World XI to Pakistan for T20 series
- Blood centers to celebrate World Blood Donor Day on Wednesday
- Standard Life Plc (SL) Rating Reiterated by Barclays PLC
- NC law says women can't revoke consent once sex is underway
- Portugal Want To Win The Confederations Cup- Cristiano Ronaldo
- Turkey's Erdogan decries isolation of Qatar as 'inhumane', like a 'death penalty'
- Ronaldo ready to pay 14.7 million euros in Spanish tax fraud case
- Cilic's royal date at Queen's
- Anthem, Inc. (ANTM) Position Boosted by Utah Retirement Systems