The USS Gabrielle Giffords will be based in San Diego.
"Gabby is one of the funniest, nicest, most thoughtful people I know", Munn, 36, captioned a photo of herself and Giffords, adding that she herself was serving on the host committee for the commissioning and pointing out that the ship is only the second ever to be named after a living woman. Especially a living woman.
A crowd of 2,500 guests, including Giffords and her husband, former Astronaut and Navy Capt.
It is also the 16th naval ship to be named for a woman.
Others who attended the ceremony included House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi, former Vice President Joe Biden and his wife Jill Biden, who served as the ship's sponsor. Keith Woodley, a native of St. Thomas, U.S. Virgin Islands, who leads the core crew of 50 officers and enlisted personnel.
UK prime minister's top aides resign after election fiasco
Theresa May also forced her two closest aides to quit on Saturday after they have taken the blame for the election campaign. The Conservatives won 318 House of Commons seats in Thursday's election, eight short of an outright majority.
Giffords helped christen the 418-foot ship in 2015, where it was built in Mobile, Ala.
It is created to defeat growing littoral threats and provide access and dominance in coastal waters. "So God bless her, God bless this ship and God bless this great land we call America". That same day, then-Navy Secretary Ray Mabus told her of plans to name a ship after her, which occurred at the Pentagon the next month.
"Let us never forget it is that spirit and our values that keep us going year after year, and that's why it is so fitting that this new, dynamic, extraordinary ship be named - named for the former Congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords", Clinton said. "I have to make sure this ship lives up to its namesake".
"They have risen to that challenge and performed exceptionally well in getting this ship ready for service".
Giffords and Kelly founded the gun-control group Americans for Responsible Solutions in 2013. "It's not her top speed. not her shallow draft. Despite the danger, you say, 'Yes!'" It's not even Gabby's name emblazoned on the back.
- Origin Access Is Completely Free for an Entire Week
- Warriors' Green will be on the court for this Finals Game 5
- Trump invited to testify over Comey, Russian meddling
- Videos show rescue of rape victim, serial killer confessions
- Jeremy Corbyn enjoys kickabout as politics takes a backseat
- Northern Ireland party agrees to May's minority government
- Three police shot, man dead after 'terrorist attack' in Melbourne, Australia
- Qatar, in regional crisis, hires former US attorney general
- Cavs' Irving inspired by Warriors' talk of celebrating at Cleveland
- Britain's May seeks deal to cling to power